Wednesday 24 March 2010

Winding up in Kigali!

So now I'm back in Kigali, supposedly to finish the reports I've written, arrange some more meetings and plan the next phase! Well, that is kind of happening and I'm also preparing for a couple of days training that Jolanda and I are to do. One is at a centre that has Deaf and children with learning and physical disabilities not too far from Kigali. Some of the children are integrated at the primary school which is on the same site and we felt when we visited before that the teachers at the primary School might benefit from using some more participative methods of instruction and Jolanda is to do some sign language. then on Sunday we're off to Ruhengeri to help Louis, a teacher with whom I've worked before, do some training for Primary teachers so that they can better integrate the Deaf children. I'm hoping that between us we're going to do a better job than Handicap International!
I have to say that I don't really like Kigali! It's hot and crowded and expensive and full of new building going on. And now there is a really busy rush hour that seems to start at 5 pm and go on till after 7.00. Can it be that the work culture is catching on? However there are compensations like new places to get good food and plenty of buses to get you to where you want to be.
Rwanda is really moving along quite fast- English, if not actually sweeping across the country is gaining ground- certainly in the towns, there seems to be considerably less muzungu calling which makes me very happy, even in the deep South more people are wearing shoes, (at least near the road), more people have laptops, sophisticated phones and in Kigali skirts are ever shorter!

No comments:

Post a Comment