Friday 12 February 2010

change of plan

I realise that although I've kept my Facebook entries up to date anybody following only the blog will be a bit astonished to find me going off to Cyangugu instead of to Komera. I met Father Murenzi at a 3 day workshop about Deaf education/sign Language/audiology and although he appeared to be pleased to see me he was also very evasive and it was not until the end of the second day that I forced a meeting at which he dropped his bombshell: he had suddenly been made aware that 3 of his 5 funders were coming to the end of their contracts with him and he was very uncertain about what was to happen at Komera! Thus he did not feel that it would be a good place for me to be!
Although not entirely surprised I was really disappointed for all sorts of reasons - the children and staff with whom I'd forged friendships, the beauty of the place and the work I was going to do - all pffff and here I was in Rwanda with no proper placement!
Amanda, my programme manager, rose to the challenge, and now I am calling myself a freelance disability advisor- currently working at a Centre for Special Needs Children near Cyangugu but also trying to find out what is going on in all the different centres for Deaf children. All very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment